Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Fiercest Light

My first curated art show The Fiercest Light for the Union City Arts Festival went well. It was moved to the Arts Depot and was combined with their college juried art show judged by Hector Perez. Which I was grateful for because I didn't have to work with the artist space that doesn't have electricity yet. Hopefully it will soon, it's a work in progress.


I enjoyed the role as curator and going through the process of putting a show together. I definitely plan on doing more shows in the future.

Flowers for Freedom by Vicki Vardaman

The title for the show The Fiercest Light came from the quote that started this blog, simply replace red with art:

"Art is the most joyful and dreadful thing in the physical universe; it is the fiercest note, it is the highest light, it is the place where the walls of this world of ours wear the thinnest and something beyond burns through." -G.K. Chesterton

I chose the title because I wanted something that was strong, something that reflected how I felt about art, its strength and its fierceness.


I also ended up in the local newspaper because I was awarded Best of Show for Transitory (below) and won $500 thanks to The 209, a local consignment store and supporter of the arts in Union City. Which came at a very good time and helped fund my recent trip to Louisville for the SPE Midwest Regional Conference.


No comments:

Post a Comment